Tuesday 6 October 2009

It's at times like this, I'm glad I'm a knitter

I'm not a big shul goer -- that's more my hubby's shtick (which is really funny, because according to all accounts, he spent every able opportunity skipping Cheder (hebrew school) to play soccer in the park across the street as a kid). We go to the Minsk in Kensington Market. (Remember The King of Kensington? Yup that market) It's old... drafty... very haimishe... perfectly Kensington.

AND so here we are, Yom Kippur... they started Kol Nidre almost an hour late, the gentlemen that ALWAYS open the ark are somewhat late, blah blah blah -- you know the rest... Hello? Don't they know I have a 10 & 5 yr old here with me? So, by 9:45pm when Kol Nidre was still going on, I'm trying to keep my daughter from falling asleep on my prayer book and I think to myself, I'm a bit chilly, but at least she is wrapped up all nice and warm in my mohair sweater, thank G-d she at least is warm... Then, I think, wow, I'm surprised I haven't heard more kvetching from the downstairs (men's section) from Ziggy (the 5 yr old).... so I gaze down, and there he is... STANDING ON THE BIMAH next to the chazzan, my little dude's kippah is inside out & backwards, but what a gorgeous drunken little smile he has on... well that's okay.. then he spots me... starts waving wildly... ALL THE WOMEN stare at me and giggle... and then... then... then... Ziggy starts channeling ELVIS, with the wild hip shaking girations & EVERYTHING... Arms swinging like he's in the final top 3 playoffs for Air Guitar Hero of the World... and that's when I say to Zozers, "Sweetie, come... let's go... we're off to home"...

So, what does all this have to do with knitting? Well! They looked something special szhlumping out of shul, One in a bright green Che Sweater with funky Righteous Lid & the other in a wild hued mohair sweater... They looked an ad that would read "Don't you wish your mummy could knit like mine?"

No comments: