Saturday 7 August 2010

The Ivy Dress is done & A Discussion about Social Yarn Etiquette

This is the story of a Rebel Knitter who saw a 'to die for' dress in a book and who swore to not venture away from the pattern for once. It is also the story of how she ended up relying on her knitting sense instead of digging her heels into the ground in sheer frustration.

Let's start at the very beginning... a very good place to start. The story begins with a fabulous gift from Marilyn of the book sensual knits: luxurious yarns/alluring designs by yahaira ferreira. G-O-R-G-E-O-U-S designs. Yummy, in fact! And, what a coincidence, I just happened to have bought 2000 metres of brown Butterfly DK Cotton (on sale at Romni) which would work great with the ivy dress - designed by Sauniell N. Connally.

You need to start with the ivy waist band. Okay. Totally up for it. Problem is: the chart is frought with errors. I frogged it back about 5 or 6 times until I finally got the brilliant idea to Google "Sensual Knits Errata". Wow. It wasn't just the Ivy Dress that had issues -- I printed off a 7 page pdf of oopsies. Yikes. Do not proceed with ANY pattern in this book before referring to this link > > http://www.pureknits.com/media/Sensual_Knits_Errata.pdf

I stayed focused, completed the waist band and then the bodice. I then cast on for the skirt and realized two things. #1 The lacy ivy strip going vertically down the front would show all sorts of stuff, but mainly my underwear.... um... no .... not good. #2 I look terrible in straight skirts. So there... that's when it happened. That's when I changed my mind. I would have to be the Rebel Knitter that I am. Hence, the finished product has an A-Line and, hey, what's not to love about a little lace hem, no? Well. It wasn't as bad as it could have been. I think I stayed a little faithful (in a sort of, almost, kind of way).

Now on to the very important issue of

SYE (Social Yarn Etiquette)

Okay. I just made that term up. But this is serious. My friend and colleague got on the TTC the other day, and when she got to the office she related the following cautionary tale:

Barb found a seat on the train, sat down, pulled out her crochet project and began to work away. All of a sudden, POKE in her shoulder. Huh? 'Must be my imagination,' she thought. Then again, POKE. Okay. Not the imagination. This was intentional. She turned around to the semi-apologetic (but not really) crafter staring her down to hear the 'what are you working on?' question. Now, just before Barb had gotten her seat, she did note to herself that the woman seated behind her was knitting. Yes, this too has happened to me. I too have sat down and noticed the knitter across the aisle. I have rubbernecked at other people's pattern choices. I too have secretly sized-up and appraised the skills, yarn and needle choices of others. Most times, if I am TTC-knitting, I find that the other knitter and I end up sharing a mutual "yarn-a-holic" smile (similar to the 'V' finger-sign that Corvette drivers used to flash each other in the 70s) and oft times engage in a friendly conversation. But this was not Barb's experience. Nope. No. No. No. No. No. Not the way to go about things, my friends. Let's be nice. We are evolved artistes. You work with yarn. You must liken yourself to Arachne or Athena/Minerva - goddesses of not just spinning, weaving and household crafts, but of wisdom and strength. Okay, so Minerva was also the Goddess of War. But stop spearing your fellow crafters. Even Minerva would say 'I don't think so, lady.' Lucky for the pokey-bioche, not only does Barb look like a Bond Girl, she is REALLY NICE and SUPER PATIENT; especially with knitters lacking the necessary social yarn etiquette that one needs in the big city.

No comments: