Monday 26 March 2012

No more UFOs

Finally.

I finished the only remaining knitting UFO (unfinished object) in my house. 

The Sock Scarf: a scarf started as a toe-up sock and finished like a cuff down sock and made up of entirely of remnant yarn from just some of the socks I have knitted over the years. 



My friend, Pam, showed me a one she had purchased 'up-north' a few years ago that was a machine knitted piece.  It was very homogeneous and, needless to say, caught my attention.

My sock-scarf is different.  Not just because it is hand knitted.  But rather, because it is infused with emotion.
What does it mean when someone knits you a pair of socks?
It means Love.
Through effort, dexterity, focus (and sometimes strife) the knitter jumps through textile hoops to knit you a sock.  Then, after completing said sock, you know they really, really, really love you, because they then do it all over again and make you a second one too.

Of course you can morph a sock into a scarf. For what is a scarf, after all?
Yes, it's an accessory.  But it is also a gentle hug.

Now I can wear my hugs from some of the mensches in my life.

This isn't just any old left-over yarn.
This is the yarn that remained from some of the sock presents I had made for some of the
Good People I know.
Good Family.
Good Friends.
Whenever I wear it I can think about them.
It helps me smile.
From the reaction I got on the subway today: it helps other people smile as well.

No comments: