Friday 5 December 2014

It's not that I haven't been knitting...I've been too busy to blog. Really.

Seriously.

Blog, shmog - I'm just trying to do what we all do: get the basics done so maybe I can divvy up my twenty four hour day as efficiently as possible:

Home life
Parental life
Work life
Volunteer life and
if I'm lucky: Knit life.


Right now, I am up to my ying-yangs in holiday knitting.  I get most of my projects done on the subway these days.  Yes, I can knit while standing up and being shokelled around in a giant tin can filled with Hogtown's unwashed masses.  I'm an exhausted and motivated person who has come to accept that sleep is overrated and for the weak. Compact circular needles are great for public transit knitting, but sharp double pointed bamboo sticks will almost always guarantee you a seat! I'm not mean - I'm proactive.

So here it is: la grande 'catch up'. Things I have knitted since last I posted and didn't have time to share.

Last Chanukah, one my favorite people gave me the fabulous book Literary Knits by Nikol Lohr.
I love it!


Sydney Carton Cowl
For my awesome brother, I knit the Tale of Two Cities neck-warmer (yes - with an embedded morse code message), Little Women Jo Mittens for my most fabulous sis-in-law and some Tess of the D'Ubervilles fingerless gloves for the BFF who bought me the book.  I admit it, I'm a geek knitter - but the people for whom I create geeky knits: they get it (and they get me).

Also:  A couple of 'mazel tov, you got hitched' decorative one-of-a-kinds, lots and lots of 'welcome to the world' baby gifts, a cat toy (don't ask), a half dozen or so pairs of socks (who doesn't love socks? Surely your Bubbie knit you some socks--that's why you love(d) her so much!) and, Good Lord, so very many infinity scarves - too many...I stopped after I was asked how many I had knit in 2014 and I answered 'to infinity and beyond'.  When the pun becomes your retort, it is time to choose a new go-to gift.

I will not reveal my fresh off the sticks prezzies, but not to worry - Chanukah is less than two weeks away. A little patience, please...I'm knitting as fast as I can - in between subway stops.

close-up of my cryptic, Madame Defarge Magnum Opus

Knitting for 'Jo'


Jo's mitts

Thomas Hardy inspired fashion

If Tess was a downtown-dwelling hipster, she would have worn these, for sure!
Cute...even if I am ridiculously allergic to the little beasties.

The classic Song of Songs phrase: all knitted up and blinged out with beads.

Socks for a very special person in my life

Clearly you can get a lot of mileage out of 2 skeins of sock yarn

No comments: